Saturday, February 26, 2011

Rude Awakening

This morning I checked my Facebook like I always do, and saw several posts from friends back home on Guam regarding a old friend Steve Alcantra. Most of the posts said, "Praying for Steve's safe return" or "Our prayers are with Steve and his family, God bring him home safely". I felt a huge pit form in my stomach, what could have happened to Steve? I immediately checked Guam's local news website and my heart sunk into my stomach as I read the breaking news.

Popular sports star Steve Alcantra missing at sea

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 4:58 AM CST

by Sabrina Salas Matanane

Guam - Family and friends have confirmed the man that rescue officials are searching for after he fell from a jetski in Umatac Bay is Steve Alcantra. Several people are waiting on the shoreline at the southern tip of the island, praying he'll be found. Guam Fire Department Spokesperson Captain Andy Arceo says because of poor visibility rescue divers will continue their search Sunday morning, however, GFD personnel are still conducting a sea and shoreline search.

Alcantra, who works at the Bank of Guam, is a popular baseball player, pitching for the Bank of Guam Athletics. Alcantra also plays for the Pepsi Warriors in the Miller Football League as a wide receiver.


I hope and pray that they find Steve and that he is ok. Growing up on an island, I know how dangerous this type of situation can be. 7 years ago one of my best friends and 4 of his coworkers tried to rescue another coworker swept out to sea during a tropical storm. The rescue teams searched for weeks with no luck. A few months later some of his remains were found. It was an incredibly hard event to get over. Mike was a brother to me and I love and miss him very much. Tonight I will hug my kids a little tighter and tell those I love just how much they mean to me. In an instant, everything can change.


Dear Lord, Please guide my friend Steve home safely. Amen

No comments: